From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-09-15, 13:36:21
Subject: Re: Before the automobile: Reconstructed global temperature over
thepast 420,000 years

On 9/15/2012 9:29 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Fig.2. Reconstructed global temperature over the past 420,000 years based on
the Vostok ice core from the Antarctica (Petit et al. 2001). The record spans
over four glacial periods and five interglacials, including the present.
The horizontal line indicates the modern temperature. The red square to the
right indicates the time interval shown in greater detail in the following
figure.

The diagram above (Fig.2) shows a reconstruction of global temperature based on
ice core analysis from the Antarctica. The present interglacial period (the
Holocene) is seen to the right (red square).
The preceding four interglacials are seen at about 125,000, 280,000, 325,000
and 415,000 years before now, with much longer glacial periods in between. All
four previous interglacials are seen to be warmer
 (1-3oC) than the present. The typical length of a glacial period is about
100,000 years, while an interglacial period typical lasts for about 10-15,000
years. The present interglacial period has now lasted about 11,600 years.

According to ice core analysis, the atmospheric CO2 concentrations during all
four prior interglacials never rose above approximately 290 ppm; whereas the
atmospheric CO2 concentration today stands at nearly 390 ppm. T
he present interglacial is about 2oC colder than the previous interglacial,
even though the atmospheric CO2 concentration now is about 100 ppm higher.
--

Hi,

    Does not this graph strongly suggests a secular periodicity to global
climate variation? If I am reading the graph correctly, we are overdue for a
glaciation event. Maybe anthropogenic CO2 is just Nature's way of forestalling
the immanent ice age so that Humanity might evolve beyond the bounds of this
planet's surface. This thought leads me to believe that all that are overly
concerned with damping human activity are anti-human evolution and we can see
this directly in the real world consequences of their policy dictates. All of
the plans that have been advanced to suppress  anthropogenic CO2 are repressive
to the human condition. "Let us return to the Stone age" we are told by the
elites that are soo worried about the impending doom of global warming. "Are
you insane?", I reply.

--
Onward!

Stephen