On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 6:52 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 9/17/2012 2:45 PM, Terren Suydam wrote:
>>
>> Benoit Mandelbrot did.
>

> I wasn't aware of that.  Did he have a proof of the fractal nature of the
> set before he calculated it?
>
> Brent

I don't know. I doubt it, I'm not even sure he had even coined the
term 'fractal' yet. I would be willing to bet though that what made
plotting z' = z^2 + c interesting to him was the same basic curiosity
that led astronomers to point Hubble at an empty patch of space
(despite the considerable cost of doing so): is there anything there
to be discovered?

Terren