As usual with scientific journalism, the media over hypes the more modest
claims of the original article:

"We analyzed bee flight movements in an array of four artificial flowers
maximizing interfloral distances. Starting from a single patch, we
sequentially added three new patches so that if bees visited them in the
order in which they originally encountered flowers, they would follow a
long (suboptimal) route. Bees' tendency to visit patches in their discovery
order decreased with experience. Instead, they optimized their flight
distances by rearranging flower visitation sequences. This resulted in the
development of a primary route (trapline) and two or three less frequently
used secondary routes. Bees consistently used these routes after overnight
breaks while occasionally exploring novel possibilities. We discuss how
maintaining some level of route flexibility could allow traplining animals
to cope with dynamic routing problems, analogous to the well-known
traveling salesman problem."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20973670