On 20 Sep 2012, at 16:47, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, September 20, 2012 10:14:25 AM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 20 Sep 2012, at 14:27, Craig Weinberg wrote:

Because we know for a fact that our consciousness correlates with neural activity ...

We don't know that. It is a theory, a belief, an assumption, ...

Some people have believed that consciousness correlates to the state of the liver.

We never know if a theory is "true". We can only know when a theory is false.

Bruno

I would agree that it would be only a theory that brain changes 'produce' consciousness, but I would say that we can say with confidence that changes in our awareness are more tightly synchronized with changes in brain activity than with those of the liver, or any other thing in the universe that we can observe.

I agree, and it is close to my working *hypothesis*, although dispensable by choosing a lower level.

The problem is in the choice of the theory used for making sense of a correlation between "changes in our awareness" and "changes in brain activity".

When we stimulate the brain magnetically, that event correlates directly with subjective experience. I don't think that there is anything else we could stimulate which would cause that.

It follows from your hypothesis. With comp this would be relatively occurring (in some sense, as it really occurs out of time in arithmetical platonia) when you stimulate any relatively concrete universal machine emulating the magnetic stimulation of the brain (where emulating means simulating at the correct subst level, or below).

It looks to me like a "don't ask" theory. It takes Matter ( PRIMITIVE matter) for granted, it takes consciousness for granted, and it relates the two by some sort of magical trick or, with all my respect, pompous word.

It is coherent, as PRIMITIVE Matter is consistent with non-comp, but it looks like making both matter and mind incomprehensible at the start, and then it introduces "puppets" in the picture.

Bruno

Craig

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Everything List" group. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/everything-list/-/TofyxHpAp0MJ .