Russell,
you seem to be restricted by OUR model-items, so far discovered. I call
'magic' the so far undiscovered, which - however - may become known later
on. Then it is not magic.
It would be the last thing to engage with you in discussing AL, but it
seems you consider a limited one:

*RS: "(ALife researcher at least have the liberty of
researching any interesting emergent phenomenon without having any
particular emergent phenomenon in mind)."*
Restricted to the so far emerged ones? or those not showing up in our
limited search (fantasy)?
John M

*

*