On 10/8/2012 1:13 PM, Richard Ruquist wrote:
except from

/The real reasons we don’t have AGI yet/
A response to David Deutsch’s recent article on AGI
October 8, 2012 by Ben Goertzel

So in this view, the main missing ingredient in AGI so far is
“cognitive synergy”: the fitting-together of different intelligent
components into an appropriate cognitive architecture, in such a way
that the components richly and dynamically support and assist each
other, interrelating very closely in a similar manner to the
components of the brain or body and thus giving rise to appropriate
emergent structures and dynamics.

The reason this sort of intimate integration has not yet been explored
much is that it’s difficult on multiple levels, requiring the design
of an architecture and its component algorithms with a view toward the
structures and dynamics that will arise in the system once it is
coupled with an appropriate environment. Typically, the AI algorithms
and structures corresponding to different cognitive functions have
been developed based on divergent theoretical principles, by disparate
communities of researchers, and have been tuned for effective
performance on different tasks in different environments.

Making such diverse components work together in a truly synergetic and
cooperative way is a tall order, yet my own suspicion is that this —
rather than some particular algorithm, structure or architectural
principle — is the “secret sauce” needed to create human-level AGI
based on technologies available today.

Achieving this sort of cognitive-synergetic integration of AGI
components is the focus of the OpenCog AGI project that I co-founded
several years ago. We’re a long way from human adult level AGI yet,
but we have a detailed design and codebase and roadmap for getting
there. Wish us luck!
Hi Richard,

My suspicion is that what is needed here, if we can put on our programmer hats, is the programer's version of a BEC, Bose-Einstein Condensate, where every "part" is an integrated reflection of the whole. My own idea is that some form of algebraic and/or topological closure is required to achieve this as inspired by the Brouwer Fixed point theorem <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brouwer_fixed-point_theorem>.

--
Onward!

Stephen