On Mon, Oct 08, 2012 at 01:13:35PM -0400, Richard Ruquist wrote:
The real reasons we don’t have AGI yet
A response to David Deutsch’s recent article on AGI
October 8, 2012 by Ben Goertzel

Thanks for posting this, Richard. I was thinking of writing my own
detailed response to David Deutsch's op ed, but Ben Goertzel has done
such a good job, I now don't have to!

My response, similar to Ben's is that David does not convincingly
explain why Popperian epistemology is the "secret sauce". In fact, it
is not even at all obvious how to practically apply Popperian
epistemology to the task at hand. Until some more detailed practical
proposal is put forward, the best I can say is, meh, I'll believe it
when it happens.

The problem that exercises me (when I get a chance to exercise it) is
that of creativity. David Deutsch correctly identifies that this is one of
the main impediments to AGI. Yet biological evolution is a creative
process, one for which epistemology apparently has no role at all.

Continuous, open-ended creativity in evolution is considered the main
problem in Artificial Life (and perhaps other fields). Solving it may
be the work of a single moment of inspiration (I wish), but more
likely it will involve incremental advances in topics such as
information, complexity, emergence and other such partly philosophical
topics before we even understand what it means for something to be
open-ended creative. Popperian epistemology, to the extent it has a
role, will come much further down the track.

Cheers
Hi Russell,

Question: Why has little if any thought been given in AGI to self-modeling and some capacity to track the model of self under the evolutionary transformations?

--
Onward!

Stephen