2012/10/9 Evgenii Rudnyi <use...@rudnyi.ru>:
> On 08.10.2012 20:45 Alberto G. Corona said the following:
>
>> Deutsch is right about the need to advance in Popperian
>> epistemology, which ultimately is evolutionary epistemology.
>

> You may want to read Three Worlds by Karl Popper. Then you see where to
> Popperian epistemology can evolve.
>
> “To sum up, we arrive at the following picture of the universe.  There is
> the physical universe, world 1, with its most important sub-universe, that
> of the living organisms.  World 2, the world of conscious experience,
> emerges as an evolutionary product from the world of organisms.  World 3,
> the world of the products of the human mind, emerges as an evolutionary
> product from world 2.”

..and the perception of world1 is not a "objective image of the
"phisical realiy"", but a result of particular adaptive needs,
interests and purposes. This perception of world1 is not part of world
1, but an evolutionary product, that is part of world 2. This is very
important.

That means that any perception has a purpose from the beginning, and
"making an objective idea of phisical reality" is not neither can be a
valid purpose, because it is ultimateley, purposeless and,
additionally it has infinite "objective" versions of it  (do we want
to perceive radiation? neutrinos?  atoms? only macroscopical thigs?.

Therefore, the general intelligence, that is part of World 3, has to
work with the impulses, perceptions and purposes  evolved in world 2 .
Therefore  we the humans are limited by that (and in any other
artificial case, as i would show). But this does not means that the
human mind,  have the take this limit as a absolute limit for their
reasoning. He ask itself about the nature of these limitations and
reach different reactions to this: one answer is to adopt a particular
belief that match with these limitations, negate them (nihilism). or
try to transcend them (gnosticism : my limitations are false
impositions and I have to search for my true self ) or try to know
them (realism)

That is the difference between a tool, like an ordinary Mars Rover
that send data to the eart  from a person or for that matter, an AGI
devide sent to mars with the memories of life in earth erased and with
an impulse to inform the earth by radiowaves: While the ordinary rover
will be incapable to improve its own program in a qualitative way, the
man or the AGI will first think about how to improve his task (because
it would be a pleasure for him and his main purpose). To do so he will
have to ask itself about the motives of the people that sent him. To
do so he will ask himself about the nature of his work to try to know
the intentions of the senders, So he will study the nature of the
phisical medium to better know the purposes of the senders (while
actively working in the task, because it is a pleasure form him) .
But, because he will also have impulses for self preservation and
curiosity in order to inprove self preservation. To predict the future
he will go up in the chain of causations, he will enter into
philosophical questions at some level and adopt a certain wordview
among the three above mentioned ones, beyond the strict limitations
of his task. Otherwise he would not be AGI or human.

 General inteligence by definition can not be limited if there is
enough time and resources. So the true test of AGI would be a
philosophical questioning about existence, purpose, perception. That
includes moral questions that can be asked due to the freedom of
alternatives between different purposes that the AGI has: For example,
whether if the rover would weight less or more the  self preservation
versus task realization  ( Do I go to this dangerous crater that has
this interesting ice looking rocks or I spend the time pointing my
panels to the sun? )

Note that a response to the questions:
1 "What is the ultimate meaning of your activity"   -"It`s my pleasure
to search interesting things and to send the info to the earth".
2 " What is is "interesting for you?". -"Interesting is what i find
interesting by my own program, which I cannot neither I want to know".
3- "Don´t you realize that if you adopt this attitude then you can not
improve your task that way?" - "Dont waste my time. Bye"

Would reveal an  worldview (the first) that is a hint of general
intelligence, despite the fact that apparently he refuses to answer
philosophical questions.

> “The feedback effect between world 3 and world 2 is of particular
> importance. Our minds are the creators of world 3; but world 3 in its turn
> not only informs our minds, but largely creates them. The very idea of a
> self depends on world 3 theories, especially upon a theory of time which
> underlies the identity of the self, the self of yesterday, of today, and of
> tomorrow. The learning of a language, which is a world 3 object, is itself
> partly a creative act and partly a feedback effect; and the full
> consciousness of self is anchored in our human language.”
>
> Evgenii
> --
>
> http://blog.rudnyi.ru/2012/06/three-worlds.html

Alberto.