On 08 Oct 2012, at 22:07, John Mikes wrote:

Dear Richard, "I think" the lengthy text is Ben's article in response to D. Deutsch. Sometimes I was erring in the belief that it is YOUR text, but no. Thanks for copying. It is too long and too little organized for me to keep up with ramifications prima vista. What I extracted from it are some remarks I will try to communicate to Ben (a longtime e-mail friend) as well.

I have my (agnostically derived) version of intelligence: the capability of reading 'inter' lines (words/meanings). Apart from such human distinction: to realize the 'essence' of relations beyond vocabulary, or 'physical science' definitions. Such content is not provided in our practical computing machines (although Bruno trans-leaps such barriers with his (Löb's) universal machine unidentified).

Unidentified? I give a lot of examples: PA, ZF, John Mikes, me, and the octopus.

In some sense they succeed enough the mirror test. That's enough for me to consider them, well, not just conscious, but as conscious as me, and you. The difference are only on domain competence, and intelligence (in which case it might be that octopus are more intelligent than us, as we are blinded by our competences).

It is possible that when competence grows intelligence decrease, but I am not sure.

Bruno

Whatever our (physical) machines can do is within the physical limits of information - the content of the actual "MODEL" of the world we live with by yesterday's knowledge, no advanced technology can transcend such limitations: there is no input to do so. This may be the limits for AI, and AGI as well. Better manipulation etc. do not go BEYOND.

Human mind-capabilities, however, (at least in my 'agnostic' worldview) are under the influences (unspecified) from the infinite complexity BEYOND our MODEL, without our knowledge and specification's power. Accordingly we MAY get input from more than the factual content of the MODEL. On such (unspecified) influences may be our creativity based (anticipation of Robert Rosen?) what cannot be duplicated by cutest algorithms in the best computing machines. Our 'factual' knowable in the MODEL are adjusted to our mind's capability - not so even the input from the unknowable 'infinite complexity's' relations.

Intelligence would go beyond our quotidian limitations, not feasible for machines that work within such borders.

I may dig out relevant information from Ben's text in subsequent readings, provided that I get to it back.

Thanks again, it was a very interesting scroll-down

John Mikes