On Wednesday, October 10, 2012 12:14:44 PM UTC-4, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> [...]
>> through matter or gravitational fields etc wouldn’t be especially
>> consistent with this model…why would the ghost of a supernova slow down the
>> cosmic computer in one area of memory, etc?
>>
>> The model that I have been developing suggests however that the CPU model
>> would not lead to realism or significance though, and could only generate
>> unconscious data manipulations. In order to have symbol grounding in
>> genuine awareness, I think that instead of a CPU cranking away rendering
>> the entire cosmos over and over as a bulwark against nothingness, I think
>> that the cosmos must be rooted in stasis. Silence. Solitude. This is not
>> nothingness however, it is everythingness. A universal inertial frame which
>> loses nothing but rather continuously expands within itself by taking no
>> action at all.
>>
>> The universe doesn’t need to be racing to mechanically redraw the cosmos
>> over and over because what it has drawn already has no place to disappear
>> to. It can only seem to disappear through…
>> …
>> …
>> …
>> latency.
>>
>> The universe as we know it then arises out of nested latencies. A
>> meta-diffraction of symmetrically juxtaposed latency-generating
>> methodologies. Size, scale, distance, mass, and density on the public side,
>> richness, depth, significance, and complexity on the private side. Through
>> these complications, the cosmic CPU is cast as a theoretical shadow, when
>> the deeper reality is that rather than zillions of cycles per second, the
>> real mainframe is the slowest possible computer. It can never complete even
>> one cycle. How can it, when it has all of these subroutines that need to
>> complete their cycles first?
>>
>> ?
>>
>> If the universe is a simulation (which it can't, by comp, but let us
>> say), then if the computer clock is changed, the internal creatures will
>> not see any difference. Indeed it is a way to understand that such a "time"
>> does not need to be actualized. Like in COMP and GR.
>>

> I'm not sure how that relates to what I was saying about the universe
> arising before even the first tick of the clock is finished, but we can
> talk about this instead if you like.
>
> What you are saying, like what my friend up there was saying about the CPU
> clock being invisible to the Sims, I have no problem with. That's why I was
> saying it's like a computer game. You can stop the game, debug the program,
> start it back up where you left off, and if there was a Sim person actually
> experiencing that, they would not experience any interruption. Fine.
>
> The problem is the meanwhile you have this meta-universe which is doing
> the computing, yes? What does it run on?
>

> On the true number relations.
>
> Indirectly on some false propositions too, as the meta-arithmetic,
> involving false propositions/sentences belongs to arithmetic.

Right, so the number relations don't require any meta-computation. Why then
do their progeny require number-relations?

> If it doesn't need to run on anything, then way not just have that be the
> universe in the first place?
>

> OK.
>
> It is the arithmetical universe, or (I prefer) arithmetic truth. We cannot
> really defined it.
>
> You can call it God or Universe, but it is important to distinguish from
> the physical reality, which is an internal emerging secondary structure, in
> the comp setting.

I am ok with secondary structure, and I think the same thing only that it
has to be that structure is secondary to sense (the capacity to experience
+ the capacity to partially experience) rather than arithmetic, because I
can see why it would serve sense to invent numbers to help keep track of
things but I can't see why keeping-track-ness would bother to create
experience.

Craig