On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 12:16:06PM +0200, Evgenii Rudnyi wrote:
> Another question here would be who will divide the state space to a
> bacterium and environment. Let us imagine that we have implemented
> somehow a bacterium in Game of Life (or even better in Continuous
> Game of Life). What is meaning of "A bacterium travels" when there
> is no human observer?
>
> Or let me can put it this way. To find out whether a bacterium is
> there and to find out its coordinates, one could imagine an extra
> algorithms that analyses the state space of for example Continuous
> Game of Life. Now we run two different simulations.
>
> 1) Continuous Game of Life as it is.
>
> 2) Continuous Game of Life with an extra algorithm to find out if a
> bacterium is there and to report coordinates of the bacterium.
>
> Is there any difference between 1) and 2)?

A very pertinent question. I wish I knew the answer (myself and many
others too!).

There is a sort of proto-answer in the work of Jim Crutchfield. It is
possible (sort of) to come up with a workable definition of emergence
that doesn't require the presence of an observer (or rather he has a
metric to indicate what sorts of things are likely to be interesting
to an abstract observer - my emphasis).

Cheers