A few discoveries of evolutionary psichology may help. According with EP
the mind is composed of many functional modules, each one for a different
purpose. many of them are specific of each specie. Each of these modules is
the result of the computation of certain areas of the brain. A functional
module in the mind has´nt to be an area of the brain. Because the model of
the mid in EP assumes comp, and assumes an specific, testable model for
mind-brain design (natural selection) it is well suited for issues like
this.

Severe autists lack a module called "theory of
mind<https://www.google.es/search?hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=pastor+de+iglesia+translate&btnG=#hl=en&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&q=theory+of+mind+evolutionary+psychology&oq=theory+of+mind+evolutionary+psychology&gs_l=serp.3...271.1229.0.1475.8.6.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.les%3Befrsh..0.0...1.1.EVKzs0KV4ko&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&fp=e7c229ce7fe95b92&bpcl=35466521&biw=1241&bih=584>"
. this module make you compute the mental states of other people. It gather
information about their gestures, acts etc. It makes people interesting
object to care about. Autists can learn rationally about the fact that
other humans are like him, they can learn to take care of them. But they
are not naturally interested in people. They dont care about if you have a
mind, because they do not know what means a mind in another being. they
just experience their own. For them, yuou are robot that they do not
understand.

We ask ourselves about the existence of the mind in others because we have
a innate capacity for perceiving and feeling the mind in other. However, a
robot without human gestures, without human reactions would not excite our
theory of mind module, and we would not have the intuitive perception of a
mind in that cold thing.

However this has nothing to do with the real thing.The theory of mind
module evolved because it was very important for social life. But this is
compatible with a reality in with each one of us live in an universe of
zombies (some of them with postdoc in philosophy, church pastors etc) where
we have the only soul. Of course I dont belive that. I have the "normal"
belief. But this is one of the most deep and most widespread beliefs,
because it is innate and you must fight against it to drop it out. This
belief save you from a paralizing solipsism. That´s one of the reasons why
I say "I believe, therefore I can act"

2012/10/17 Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net>

> Hi Bruno Marchal
>
> Sorry, I lost the thread on the doctor, and don't know what Craig believes
> about the p-zombie.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_zombie
>
> "A philosophical zombie or p-zombie in the philosophy of mind and
> perception is a hypothetical being
> that is indistinguishable from a normal human being except in that it
> lacks conscious experience, qualia, or sentience.[1] When a zombie is poked
> with a sharp object, for example, it does not feel any pain though it
> behaves
> exactly as if it does feel pain (it may say "ouch" and recoil from the
> stimulus, or tell us that it is in intense pain)."
>
> My guess is that this is the solipsism issue, to which I would say that if
> it has no mind, it cannot converse with you,
> which would be a test for solipsism,-- which I just now found in typing
> the first part of this sentence.
>

> Roger Clough, rclo...@verizon.net
> 10/17/2012

> From: Bruno Marchal
> Receiver: everything-list
> Time: 2012-10-17, 08:57:36
> Subject: Re: Is consciousness just an emergent property of
> overlycomplexcomputations ?
>

> On 16 Oct 2012, at 15:33, Stephen P. King wrote:
>

> On 10/16/2012 9:20 AM, Roger Clough wrote:
>
> Hi Stephen P. King
>
> Thanks. My mistake was to say that P's position is that
> consciousness, arises at (or above ?)
> the level of noncomputability.  He just seems to
> say that intuiton does. But that just seems
> to be a conjecture of his.
>

> ugh, rclo...@verizon.net
> 10/16/2012
>

> Hi Roger,
>
>     IMHO, computability can only capture at most a "simulation" of the
> content of consciousness, but we can deduce a lot from that ...
>

> So you do say "no" to the doctor? And you do follow Craig on the existence
> of p-zombie?
>

> Bruno
>

> http://iridia.ulb.ac.be/~marchal/

Alberto.