Stephan,

I agree that " All of this discussion is below the level of conscious
self-awareness", but prefer to think of raw perception as
distinguishing what can be from what cannot be, as for example in
constructor theory.

In my model conscious awareness is an arithmetic emergent due to the
incompleteness of discrete, ennumerable compact manifolds. What can or
cannot be is at a lower level, perhaps due to discrete arithmetic
computations that may be teleological, a nod to Deacon as well as
Deutsch.
Richard