On 05.11.2012 16:21 Roger Clough said the following:
Hi Richard Ruquist

Engineering advantages ? A decade before the Wright brothers flew
their airplane, people would have said, "You're going to do WHAT ?"

I guess this is a very good example, as the Wright brothers have just done it. I am not sure if they based this innovation on some theory. Hence is the question, if a superstring theory is really necessary to drive innovations.