On Sun, Nov 11, 2012 at 04:13:38PM -0800, freqflyer07281972 wrote:

> On Saturday, November 10, 2012 3:00:33 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
> >
> > On 11/10/2012 1:11 AM, freqflyer07281972 wrote:
> > > but rather the less appealing conclusion that, perhaps, the
> > teleportation required in
> > > your entire thought experiment is simply impossible, for much of the
> > same reasons as
> > > time travel is impossible.
> >
> > I don't see the parallel.  Can you spell it out?
> >
> > Brent
> >
> > Sure, I'll try.
>
> Regarding time travel, there are many reasons for thinking that this is
> simply impossible. This comes from Sean Carroll's excellent book 'From

And many good reasons for thinking it is possible in a Multiverse, as
pointed out by David Deutsch. Time travel into the past is simply
equivalent to going somewhere else in the Multiverse, or to use the
Borge Library of Babel analogy, selecting a book from the Library of
Babel.

It doesn't run into the grandfather paradox, because even when you go
back into the past, and kill your grandfather, because multiple
futures really do exist in the multiverse, you will just end up in a
history that never has the past you growing up in it, just the current
you living your life from where you reentered history. Meanwhile, your
childhood will still exist in a history where you failed to kill your
grandfather, or never even made the attempt.

Just as the grandfather paradox seems to show that past time travel is
impossible unless we live in a Multiverse, the UDA seems to show that
teleportation is impossible unless we live in a Multiverse.

So there may well be a connection between the two, as speculated by
the OP.

Cheers