From: Platonist Guitar Cowboy
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-11-14, 12:42:32
Subject: Re: Re: Leibniz's pre-composed harmonic orchestral performance

Hi Roger,

The definition of harmony you cite above is "entertainment biased", because:
Virtually all music is dissonant as the vast majority of music includes more
complex fundamental frequency ratios than unison and octave: anything more
complex than 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 etc. is by strict definition already dissonant,
leading to rational number ratios etc. Note this is true independently of
"somewhat muddled and defective senses".

But there's not a large target market for such music: it would be fun to
compose music with little dissonance and just Octaves all day... but they
already do a version of this with New Age, meditation music etc. but they still
need more than the octave, to not bore the listeners to death with static sine
wave @ 440hz. But you can't mix 12-tone music with more traditional systems of
harmony, unless you build larger musical contexts, because conjunction,
transition, simultaneity, harmony, dissonance are defined very differently.
Like instead of "either this chord or that chord for this genre in this musical
context" in more traditional harmony, you get "this chord AND that chord" in
12-tone music; with either chord on its own being "false" in most 12-tone
context.

Mark