On Thursday, November 15, 2012 9:42:25 AM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

>  Hi Craig Weinberg
>
> Everything has at least some intelligence or consciousness, according to
> Leibniz's metaphysics,
> even rocks.  But these "bare naked monads" are essentially in deep,
> drugged  sleep and darkness,
> or at best drunk. Leibniz called such a state the unconscious way before
> Freud and Jung.

I believe that there is an experience on the micro-level of what the coffee
filter is made of - molecules held together as fibers maybe, bit I don't
think that it knows or cares about filtering. It's like if you write the
letters A and B on a piece of paper - I think there is an experience there
on the molecular level, of adhesion, evaporation, maybe other interesting
things we will never know, but I don't think that the letter A knows that
there is a letter B there. Do you? I don't think the letters have a
consciousness because they aren't actually beings, the patterns which they
embody to us are in our experience, not independent beings.

Craig