On 11/30/2012 1:07 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:
Hume uses that argument
as a basis for his dictum:
"Reason is, and ever ought to be, the slave of passion."
Meaning that one should not kill just because it is logical, etc.

I agree. The heart knows, reason can. But this leads to some problem. In fact we can argue that the conflict between heart and reason is with us since the start, and is unavoidable for ever, even in heaven, even for ideally sound machines.

But Hume was pointing out that there is no conflict between passion and reason. Reason can only reach decisions based on values, and it is passion that assigns values. The conflict is between different passions: work and leisure, security and adventure,... Reason gets blamed because it brings the bad news that you can't have it all.