From: Roger Clough
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-02, 06:49:00
Subject: comp : theory vs actuality

Hi Craig Weinberg

Good points, and I very much welcome your sharing of information and
discussion on Peirce, particularly:

1) Peirce said "Nothing is a sign unless it is interpreted as a sign".
Fuuny you mention that, because last night I realized the same thing.
This is a serious problem for comp, because IMHO without
a living mind to interpret its calculations, the calculations are
stillborn. More precisely, a computer can only know things by
description (3p), not by acquaintance (1p), a computer having no 1p.
Which means that a computer only has theoretical access to Platonia (3p),
not actual access (1p), so although it can calculate numbers,
it cannot do anything there with those numbers.

On the other hand, semiotics has at least a theoretical 1p
since it has an interprant.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/2/2012