From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-15, 15:44:46
Subject: Re: Moral evaluations of harm are instant and emotional,brainstudyshows

On 12/15/2012 2:46 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:29:50 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
On 12/15/2012 1:51 PM, Roger Clough wrote:
> How about this:
> Liberals are utopians, conservatives are skeptical of them.

Dear Roger,

No, All that is different between them is where their respective utopias
lie. Liberals yearn for a future utopia on Earth, conservatives pine
over their utopia in the past.

I would agree with that, but the thing is, the former may or may not be
possible but the latter is certainly impossible. What is there better to do
than to try to push civilization in the direction of a future utopia? What
could be more destructive and foolish than to try to undo what has happened and
put future back in a box?

Craig

Hi Craig,

    How about we drop the entire idea of utopias and work together to solve the
problems that we have with the tools that we know work (as they have worked
before in similar situations). "Those that do not learn from history are doomed
to repeat its mistakes" or some such...

--
Onward!

Stephen