On Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:50:36 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

> On Saturday, December 15, 2012 2:51:40 PM UTC-5, rclough wrote:
>>
>>  Hi Craig Weinberg
>>

>> I beg to differ.
>>
>> My hero, Calvin Coolidge, the arch conservative of all time, once said,
>>
>> "Don't just do something.....Stand there."
>>

> That's great if you are already standing on top of a mountain of inherited
> privilege. Why not stand there? But why should anyone other than the ruling
> minority of the world be compelled to agree?
>

> Hi Craig,
>
>     Ah, the chestnuts of Social Justice theory. So are we bound and
> shackled to a position in life by things over which we individually have no
> control? No, not ever!

There is a difference between being conscious of your position and of other
people's position and being bound or shackled by it. Knowing that you are
living in a country in which your ancestors were actually literally bound
and shacked by the ancestors of your landlord and your boss is not
something you should have to pretend doesn't shape your opportunities.

> This kind of thinking is identical to the doctrine of the fall that the
> Abrahamics use to subdue the masses by the means of guilt. I reject the
> entire idea that I have a debt to pay because some ancestor of mine may
> have done X, Y  or Z.

I don't suggest that. I don't suggest guilt. I suggest consideration of
those who are not in your position. The point of knowing the history of
genocide and oppression in America and the role that it played and
continues to play in our standard of living (for the 0.01% especially) is
not to inspire guilt at all, it is to inspire genuine compassion and
understanding. It is an invitation to see things from the staggeringly
different perspective of the people living next door, or on the other side
of town.

> We are all the same All-Soul in different circumstances, not able to see
> past the momentary differences between what we think we are and what we
> really are.

Some momentary differences last for many lifetimes though.

Craig