On 12/16/2012 1:42 PM, meekerdb wrote:
On 12/15/2012 10:20 PM, Stephen P. King wrote:
I guess preventing women from learning to read is good in Afghanistan, even though it's bad here. So it's rational when you agree with the conclusion and rationalization when you don't.

Brent

No, it is not! Where are people in power in the US preventing women from learning to read in the US? What "Power" is needs to be precisely defined. Arguments from unreal hypotheticals are always fallacious.

What hypothetical?? Women ARE prevented from learning to read in Afghanistan and we DO think it would be a bad thing to keep women from learning to read here.

Is the average US citizen the cause of the actions of the average Teleban member in Afghanistan? What is the relation between some activity in Afghanistan and in "somewhere we are". This is an equivocation, thus a rubbish argument.

--
Onward!

Stephen