On Monday, December 17, 2012 9:47:28 AM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:

>  On 12/17/2012 9:27 AM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>
> There are no neo-Marxists. Right wingers are the only people who talk
> about Marx in this century.
>

> Craig,
>
>     Really!?
>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankfurt_School
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Olin_Wright
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_Marcuse
>
>     Are these examples not good enough for you? One can change the name of
> a concept/theory... What has gotten into you?

Why do you think something has 'gotten into me'?
Of those three on your list I have heard of one of them - Marcuse, but
*only* because my Right Wing history professor at UCSB made the entire
chapter on the 60s about him. Otherwise I would have never in my life have
known of his work - especially since he died 35 years ago.

As for being under a rock,  that's exactly my point. For myself and every
other person I have heard or read express Progressive views, I do not see
that they take their cues from these academics, which they are usually
unaware of. By contrast, many is the time that I will debate with a
Right-Libertarian and it is only a matter of time until Von Mises is
brought up (talk about idolatry). Progressives are people whose parents
didn't beat them and intimidate them, so they aren't afraid to think for
themselves, and they aren't afraid of letting go of that kind of
patriarchal model of control. Everything that you all have been saying here
is only making me more and more clear on the lack of real substance or
ideas behind Conservativism. It's 'Pay no attention to the man behind the
curtain!' writ large. The more Conservative ideas are understood, the more
Progressives there will be.

 What happened to the part where I listed how the Regressive position has
been dead wrong at every important turn in the 20th century? Wrong on
Women's Sufferage, Wrong on Civil Rights, Wrong on Labor reforms, Wrong on
McCarthyism, Wrong on the Cold War, Wrong on Vietnam, Wrong on the Drug
War, Wrong on Trickle Down... what about all of that?

Craig