From: Craig Weinberg
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-17, 19:08:17
Subject: Re: promoting REASON

On Monday, December 17, 2012 5:57:40 PM UTC-5, Stephen Paul King wrote:
On 12/17/2012 3:05 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:
> Now that I know that Conservatism is based on preserving the value of
> fear, it makes sense that the arguments tend to jump unexplainably
> from "hey, why is that one guy hogging all of the money?" to "The only
> alternative is 'everyone will die'. If we weren't afraid of dying in
> mass graves, what would be a more sensible way of governing a
> prosperous state?
Dear Craig,

     At some point I hope that you will understand that I am not
promoting a brand of politics. I am promoting REASON, that with makes us
Sapient, not that which makes us D. or R. or L. or G. or whatever other
brand of politic one might happen to like.

I don't doubt that, and in theory I welcome Conservative views, except that in
reality I'm not able to see the reasonable part of them.

     Preserving the value of fear. Well, umm, yes. Being able to track
what is truly scary (will kill you if given a chance) and being able to
ignore the not-so-scary (might kill you if you bother it), seems to give
a evolutionary advantage. Consider an evolutionary toy ecosystem. If we
introduce a mutation that makes all stimuli "scary" or makes stimuli
scary by some random amount, what happens to average survival?
Predictability of actions would be degraded, this implies a detrimental
effect on survival. How will you find food in a randomly or super scary
world?

But the position the US is in now, of being the only global superpower with a
larger military than at least the next ten put together puts fear at the bottom
of the list of important considerations. We should be looking at how making the
US quality of life the envy of the world, not making into a prison.

Craig

--
Onward!

Stephen