Hi

On 23 Dec 2012, at 18:46, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi

It's time somebody said it. Materialism
is a cult and atheism is its gospel.

Not necessarily. You can also see it as an assumption in need of clarification. Or as a theory in need of a refutation.

But historically you are right, the idea is kind of dogmatic for many, and that is eased by the counterintuitive aspect of "reality" in the Platonist, non necessarily materialist, philosophy.

Xeusippes led the Platonists who called themselves the Mathematicians. I think some were "mathematicalist already, like some (neo)Phytagoreans.

For Plato, mathematics was, at the least, an example of some "something else" that some Platonist assumed what they see might, at least in part, come from.

It is not easy,

When you do an error in the hard science, you get a little catastrophe soon. When you do an error in the soft science, you get a big catastrophe later.

The thing is that we don't know (in the polite scientific public way).

The two 'camps' (materialist/spiritualist) just don't share the basic conception of reality, but of course some want the bother and the bother's money, the Matter and the Spirit, and all we can do is validating or invalidating arguments. With comp, and math, we have the tools.

The real problem might come with those ignoring arguments, hiding argument, the use of authoritative arguments, lies, violence, fear, terror, etc.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/23/2012