On 28 Dec 2012, at 20:37, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi meekerdb

How do you know-- truly know-- that other
people are like yourself ? What proof can you offer ?

"proving" something makes sense only in a theory, but we never prove a theory, we accept or not the evidences we can have.

Example:

We cannot prove that there is a physical universe, but we have tuns of evidence for that. We cannot prove that there is a primitive physical universe, and we don't have evidence for that. We cannot prove that we are conscious, but each of us have direct strong evidence for that. We cannot prove that others are conscious, but we have evidences for that (making the theory "humans are conscious" more simple and elegant than solipsism).

The problem is that many media use the term "proof" easily in the two senses (logical, and inferential).

In a context like the mind-body problem, we have to use the two notions of "proof", and so it is better to define "proof" by a sequence of formula deducible from some axioms/assumption/hypotheses (the theory), and to use "inference" for the "bet" on the assumptions, and its consequences, of the theory.

Proving is always theoretical. Inference is always a question of practice, but this does not mean that "inference" are not rational.

OK.

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/28/2012