From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-29, 11:11:50
Subject: Re: Show me, don't tell me

On 12/29/2012 10:09 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

I'm trying to recall (but can't) a particular author
who often writes what appears to be a text, but it's
really only an introduction. He never gets to the point
he seemed to be headed toward.

Others seem to have gone to the same composition class.
I have read entire books where the author talks "about"
a subject, but never gets to the meat of the subject.

IMHO the only crucial rule of composition (or of writing a play
or a poem or a letter or any essay) to me is

"Show me, don't tell me".

Dear Roger,

   Are ideas actual objects *in the world* outside of us or are they purely
internal mental constructs?  Have you ever seen the expression: "Don't look at
the finger, look at what it is pointing."? We must never forget that a
representation of an idea is itself an idea... A remark about a remark about a
remark, is still a remark and has meaning - if one can grasp it... I was trying
to illustrate a concept, to "show it"...