On 29 Dec 2012, at 17:34, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Stephen P. King

There was also a wise italian philosopher centuries ago who
had a major premiss, namely, that the only way to
fully understand something is to construct it.

OK. That is intuitionism, or constructivism. Proving is constructing, for intuitionist. This is a form of solipsism, because we cannot "construct the other". It is quite related to the 1p. It is also related to the fact that Aristotelism is intuitive and Platonism is counter-intuitive. With comp we keep the "solipsism" for the (our) epistemological 1p view, but we justify it from the 3p or 0p view from outside.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
12/29/2012
From: Stephen P. King
Receiver: everything-list
Time: 2012-12-29, 11:11:50
Subject: Re: Show me, don't tell me

On 12/29/2012 10:09 AM, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Bruno Marchal

I'm trying to recall (but can't) a particular author
who often writes what appears to be a text, but it's
really only an introduction. He never gets to the point
he seemed to be headed toward.

Others seem to have gone to the same composition class.
I have read entire books where the author talks "about"
a subject, but never gets to the meat of the subject.

IMHO the only crucial rule of composition (or of writing a play
or a poem or a letter or any essay) to me is

"Show me, don't tell me".

Dear Roger,

Are ideas actual objects *in the world* outside of us or are they purely internal mental constructs? Have you ever seen the expression: "Don't look at the finger, look at what it is pointing."? We must never forget that a representation of an idea is itself an idea... A remark about a remark about a remark, is still a remark and has meaning - if one can grasp it... I was trying to illustrate a concept, to "show it"...

-- Onward!

Stephen