On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 10:08 PM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net> wrote:

>  On 12/29/2012 12:32 PM, Platonist Guitar Cowboy wrote:
>

>>  In french we say popularly that "about taste and color we don't argue".
>> (Des goûts et des couleurs on ne discute pas).
>>

> That's because Francophones have no taste, they just try to sell the
> notion that they do for marketing ;)
>
> In Germany this is more ambiguous, as we have the equivalent statement but
> also its negation: a popular turn-of-phrase is "Über Geschmack lässt sich
> bekanntlich streiten." Roughly translates "On matters taste, we can
> argue/negotiate/dispute", which fits with the fuzzy linguistic statement
> above.
>

> I thought every body just quoted the latin, "De gustibus non est
> disputandum.",  which is literally the opposite of the German (the Romans
> were more tolerant?) but probably means the same.

It does go both ways in German usage. Is somebody tolerant for letting
other views or tastes prevail, like tolerance of bad music or political
corruption? Or is somebody tolerant for engaging other views verbally,
facing the possibility that one's views might be wrong, therefore
tolerating the insecurity of exposure and dispute (unlike most forums and
lists)?

A tolerant attitude has to include, in this frame, not merely accepting
other tastes' potential nonsense, but also accepting possibility of one's
own bad taste, engaging such possibility by discussion and interaction
without shame.

I guess capacity of aesthetic judgement, what taste boils down to both
"internally" and in our ability to convey such through some language,
formal or not, or means of interaction, e.g. music, cooking, or making
love, is graded and can always become more refined as we grow; which is why
my ear is better than when I first picked up a guitar, and why it is so
much worse than somebody who has played 20 years more than me. This also
translates to the ability to communicate that.

An overly defensive, insecure or arrogant attitude is what leads to
disputes feared in the Latin quote and marks to some extent everybody being
close-minded. When are we tolerant and when are we too afraid to step in
when ugly stuff happens? Good point, Brent.

Mark