On Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:41:33 PM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

> A Systems Theory Approach to the Mind/Body Problem (ver. 1)
>
> The Black Box theory of Mind as given below suggests that the mind/body
> problem
> may be expressed analogously as a system theory in which mental
> consciousness or subjectivity
> is the time activity of the physical brain expressed in Fourier frequency
> space.
> A spacial transform may also be involved, but for the moment we will only
> consider the frequency
> transform. And it may be added that perhaps some different type of
> transform
> might succeed this version
>
> The ultimate model for the mind is what is sometimes called "Platonia", a
> timeless
> perfect Heavenly world of reason. Being timeless, it is not unreasonable
> to characterize
> it as being subjective, that is, in frequency space. The objective
> physical Aristotelian world
> (down here below, so to speak) is more suitably chartacterizes as in time.
>
> Thus I propose that we have a dual-aspect reality,
>
> (a).  The world from the objective, physical point of view, in time.
>
> (a)^-1,  The world from the subjective, mental point of view, in frequency
> space
>
> ___________________________________________________________________________________________
>

> The Black Box Consciousness Model [Objective Brain/Body->Subjective
> Mind/Mental->Objective Brain/Body].
>
> Here's how I now see the whole mindbrain consciousness complex:
>
>     I (physical input signal, brain/body, objective) ---> II
> (Consciousness [nonphysical black box "signal processing"] , mind/mental,
> subjective) ---->
>     ----->III (physical output signal, brain/body, objective)
>
>     I= Firstness (1p) = physical input signal from outside world into
> brain ----->
>     II=Secondness (2p) = the mind's black box of mental (not brain) signal
> processing --->
>     III=Thirdness (3p) = physical signal output to outside world through
> brain.
>
> Without going into more detail at this point, the theory can be stated
> from:
>
> F (t) = Firstness or the objective (ohysical)
>     input signal of the brain in time,
> F(w) =  the subjective, mental or form of F(t)
>
> S (t) = Secondness or the System function in the t or objective world
> S (w) = Secondness or the System function in the w or subjective world
>
> T(t) = Thirdness or objective output signal of the brain in time,
> T(w) =  the subjective, mental or form of T(t)
>
> The overall theory being:
>
> T(w) = F(w)+S(w)
>
> One might then define consciousness as
>
> S(w) = T(w)/F(w)

Why does the objective signal get transformed into something else? Why
wouldn't consciousness just be:

S(t) = T(t)/F(t)?

By beginning with the presumption of signal, you already have taken
awareness of some kind for granted. What is a signal? What responds to a
signal and how does it accomplish that?

Also if you consider the idea of frequency space, you should find that it
is an abstraction and ultimately impossible. Frequency is the expected
repetition of events juxtaposed against their absence - an experience
dependent on time but not space at all. Projecting a spatialized model of
frequency shifts the native subjective presentation of time into an
objective re-presentation which is simultaneous rather than sequential. The
graph of a wave function is a meaningless line-curve unless interpreted
with a narrative metaphor.

If you flip your model over, you'll see that time is not an exterior
reality but an interior experience, and that interior experience is the
actual monadic ground of being. There is no detached physical point of
view, that is just an idea which makes it easier for us to model our
experiences intellectually, but in reality, all time is an interior
experience.