On 12/30/2012 3:36 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2012 12:41:33 PM UTC-5, rclough wrote:

    A Systems Theory Approach to the Mind/Body Problem (ver. 1)

    The Black Box theory of Mind as given below suggests that the
    mind/body problem
    may be expressed analogously as a system theory in which mental
    consciousness or subjectivity
    is the time activity of the physical brain expressed in Fourier
    frequency space.
    A spacial transform may also be involved, but for the moment we
    will only consider the frequency
    transform. And it may be added that perhaps some different type of
    transform
    might succeed this version

    The ultimate model for the mind is what is sometimes called
    "Platonia", a timeless
    perfect Heavenly world of reason. Being timeless, it is not
    unreasonable to characterize
    it as being subjective, that is, in frequency space. The objective
    physical Aristotelian world
    (down here below, so to speak) is more suitably chartacterizes as
    in time.

    Thus I propose that we have a dual-aspect reality,

    (a).  The world from the objective, physical point of view, in time.

    (a)^-1,  The world from the subjective, mental point of view, in
    frequency space

    The Black Box Consciousness Model [Objective
    Brain/Body->Subjective Mind/Mental->Objective Brain/Body].

    Here's how I now see the whole mindbrain consciousness complex:

        I (physical input signal, brain/body, objective) ---> II
    (Consciousness [nonphysical black box "signal processing"] ,
    mind/mental, subjective) ---->
        ----->III (physical output signal, brain/body, objective)

        I= Firstness (1p) = physical input signal from outside world
    into brain ----->
        II=Secondness (2p) = the mind's black box of mental (not
    brain) signal processing --->
        III=Thirdness (3p) = physical signal output to outside world
    through brain.

    Without going into more detail at this point, the theory can be
    stated from:

    F (t) = Firstness or the objective (ohysical)
        input signal of the brain in time,
    F(w) =  the subjective, mental or form of F(t)

    S (t) = Secondness or the System function in the t or objective world
    S (w) = Secondness or the System function in the w or subjective
    world

    T(t) = Thirdness or objective output signal of the brain in time,
    T(w) =  the subjective, mental or form of T(t)

    The overall theory being:

    T(w) = F(w)+S(w)

    One might then define consciousness as

    S(w) = T(w)/F(w)

Why does the objective signal get transformed into something else? Why wouldn't consciousness just be:

S(t) = T(t)/F(t)?

By beginning with the presumption of signal, you already have taken awareness of some kind for granted. What is a signal? What responds to a signal and how does it accomplish that?

Also if you consider the idea of frequency space, you should find that it is an abstraction and ultimately impossible. Frequency is the expected repetition of events juxtaposed against their absence - an experience dependent on time but not space at all. Projecting a spatialized model of frequency shifts the native subjective presentation of time into an objective re-presentation which is simultaneous rather than sequential. The graph of a wave function is a meaningless line-curve unless interpreted with a narrative metaphor.

If you flip your model over, you'll see that time is not an exterior reality but an interior experience, and that interior experience is the actual monadic ground of being. There is no detached physical point of view, that is just an idea which makes it easier for us to model our experiences intellectually, but in reality, all time is an interior experience.

Hear Hear! Time is a 1p phenomenon, it has no "3p" existence. The idea of time (and space!) as an external dimension is a mathematically convenient illusion.

--
Onward!

Stephen