Why bad things happen to good people--Leibniz's Theodicy

.... As to tornadoes, there are various views, usually
part of "Theodicies". Here's the view I prefer, that of my
mentor, Leibniz, explained in his "Theodicy", which
Voltaire took up in his unfair and totally misinformed
criticism, the novel "Candide".

According to Leibniz, there are two forms of being, that
belonging to perfect, timeless, necessary reason, assigned to Heaven
or Platonia, and that of contingent, time-dependent and therefore
undependable reason and perfection (that down here, on earth).
Scientific theory deals with the former, where time is reversible,
and scientific experimentation, with the latter, done down here,
in the world, where time is not reversible.

Leibniz's view, in his theodicy , which I hold to also, is that
the world down here, that God created, is necessarily imperfect,
 so, as they say "crap happens". This is because things can't be good
everywhere at the same time. Thus evil and catastrophes are
probabilistic.

Leibniz's theodicy ior justification for God is that God, being good,
does the best that he can with the imperfect, partly evuil world
he has to work with. That is why pray for God to deliver us
from evil in the Lord's prayer. But we also say "thy will be done."

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/2/2013