On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 Stephen P. King <stephe...@charter.net> wrote:

> So how ever many years ago you there confident that CERN would discover
> the Higgs?

About 15, and in not one of those 15 years would I have confidently
predicted that nothing new about the Higgs would be discovered in the next
year, but I will make that prediction about the paranormal.

> And this post proves....?

That in the last 200 years research into the supernatural has produced
precisely ZERO results; and I'm not even talking about developing a theory
to explain how it works, I'm talking about obtaining enough experimental
evidence to show that a explanation is needed. We could be having this same
exact conversation about the paranormal in 1913, or even 1813 and you could
still be complaining that mainstream scientists (they were called Natural
Philosophers back then) were not paying enough attention to psi or ESP or
spiritualism or whatever. The field has not moved one inch in centuries,
not one Planck Length. As a result those doing full time ESP work today are
third or fourth rate, if they were really skilled in the art of
experimentation they'd be doing other things, they would never pick a field
as moribund as parapsychology. However if you're all thumbs in the lab then
parapsychology researcher is the perfect career choice because if you're
looking for something that doesn't exist a poor researcher will get more
encouraging results than a good one.

> > Pfft, do better, John.

If you disagree with me then show the courage of your convictions and let's
make a bet! If there is a article in Science or Nature or Physical Review
Letters about something (by whatever name) in the brain or in the mind that
violates the known laws of physics before January 4 2014 I will give you
$1000, and if there is not you only have to give me $100. I don't demand a
explanation of this new phenomena just that the editors of one of those
journals thinks that there is something interesting there, something that
needs to be explain. So do we have a bet? I'm completely serious about this
and if there is anybody else who would like to take this bet please say so;
come on, I'm giving you 10 to 1 odds. if you believe in this crap then it's
easy money.

  John K Clark