On 09 Jan 2013, at 14:29, Roger Clough wrote:

Hi Telmo Menezes

In the Christian tradition, Satan.

In the Platonic tradition (which Bruno knows
much better than I do), I think the Demiurge.

Platonists are not so good on the bad, and the bad is really a complex problem. I suggest an answer in my post to Telmo.

To give you a "bad" example, Plotinus explains that the bad occurs only to bad people. It warns that if you rape a woman, you will be punished. How: by becoming a woman in your next life, and by being raped.

This is unfortunate, as it might gives the idea that if a woman attracts you up to the point you will rape her, it is OK, as it can only mean that you are raping some "guy" who raped a woman in his/her preceding life! But this will only justify and perpetuate the bad.

It is not entirely nonsensical, and may be Plotinus was to quick. It can be related to the buddhist notion of karma, but here too, a danger remains to make sick and miserable people, if that was not enough, also feeling guilty. It leads to the idea that whatever bad happens to you comes from bad thing you did in a preceding life, and this means that it is always your fault. Basically, the idea of sin comes from this too. But this can be used by people who want to manipulate you, as history illustrates. With the explanation suggested to Telmo, I would say the bad exists due to its logical closeness to the good. Also good can be a protagorean virtue, meaning that if you try to define the good in some normative way, then the bad will be guarantied to happen.

Bruno

[Roger Clough], [rclo...@verizon.net]
1/9/2013