On 10 Jan 2013, at 21:43, John Clark wrote:

Perhaps the Quantum Suicide experiment has already been performed and on a global scale. After Hugh Everett developed the many Worlds interpretation in his doctoral dissertation he was disappointed at the poor reception it received and never published anything on quantum mechanics again for the rest of his life; instead he became a Dr. Strangelove type character making computer nuclear war games and doing grim operational research for the pentagon about armageddon.

Despite his knowledge of the horrors of a nuclear war Everett, like most of his fellow cold warrior colleagues in the 50's and 60's, thought the probability of Thermonuclear war happening was very high and he thought it would probably happen very soon. Although there is no record of it I wonder if Everett used anthropic reasoning and privately deduced that the fact that we live in a world where such a very likely war has not in fact happened was more confirmation that his Many Worlds idea was right. And I must say that it is odd, if you told me right after Nagasaki that in 68 years nuclear weapons would not be used again in anger I would have said you were nuts.

Thanks for not dropping atomic bombs on us, the nuts people.

Perhaps we are in a bizarrely rare offshoot universe where World War 3 never happened.

This is not entirely impossible, but I am not sure we should bet on that.

On the planet ZZi@, every citizen has a personal atomic bomb, fixed in his house, and the citizens can make it exploding each day when they are not satisfied by the day. By reaction , all other bombs explode too. The quantum politicians who favored that politics were hoping this would quantum select a reality where everybody is satisfied. Unfortunately, there was mister Smith who was hating Mister Durand, and satisfied only by Durand's non satisfaction. The result is that they get into a loop where the same day repeat forever with Mister Smith and Mister Durand respective satisfaction. They get into a little two days circle, but note that no one ever notice it.

More (or less?) seriously, there is a possibility that the origin of life has been partially a quantum suicide kind of game, making sadly such an origin or life a rare event, making us rarer, if not unique, in the universe. I hope not. Such an explanation is cheap, and might lead to a form "don't try to understand, it is just a quantum miracle". Yet, if one day we have evidence that we are alone in our cluster of galaxies, that would be an evidence for a quantum miracle (rare event).