On 12 Jan 2013, at 15:45, Telmo Menezes wrote:

Hi Roger,

Sure, neither do I.
But if you preform the double slit experience you will see physical wave-like patters of interference. If it quacks like a duck... I'm not a materialist and I have no problem with the idea of the physical world being a dream. But I also believe that all experiences are equally real, including dreams. Including the literal dreams we have when we sleep. So I believe in the physical world without being a materialist.

And that follows from the comp (or weakened) assumption. But then the physical can be redefined, as many things remains physical, even if not fundamentally so. In that case the quantum waves are physical, as they have observable effects. They are as much physical than particles and planets.

I am not sure that Roger is open to conceive a dream form of "idealism" (itself relying only on arithmetic).

Also, with comp, you can always recover a form of local physicalism, by lowering the substitution level. Comp entails (I think) that we can lower down the substitution level ad infinitum, so ~ comp is guarantied to remain consistent for ever.

Bruno