On Sunday, January 13, 2013 11:57:48 AM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:

> On 12 Jan 2013, at 13:01, Telmo Menezes wrote:
>
> Hi Roger,
>
> How can you have a wave without some notion of spatial/temporal dimensions?
>

> I don't see why we cannot have purely mathematical waves (easily related
> to lines and circles),

Lines and circles are spatial geometries.

> and physical waves, like water wave or tsunami, or sound waves.
> A propagating wave is a sort of oscillation contagious to its
> neighborhood.

All of those are spatio-temporal sensory experiences and presences. A
purely mathematical wave which is independent of all spatial or temporal
representation can only be a figurative wave. If you have concretely real
substances in 'space' or concretely real experiences in 'time' then you can
have a figurative language which refers to the wavy qualities which we
infer through sense as being correlated on either side of the
public-private range of presentation. This wavy-ness is an idea, a
metaphorical figure which we use to re-present the commonality which we
understand internally but as an exteriorized, generic symbol.

Once we have formalized this synthetic wave figure quantitatively, we can
do all kinds of incredible things with it, just as a painter uses a certain
kind of brushstroke. But the strokeness isn't a thing itself - it has no
power to do anything by itself, it is pure fiction (albeit fiction which is
informative about sense on all levels of realism, but only from the
fictional 3p voyeur perspective).

Craig