On 18 Jan 2013, at 05:34, Russell Standish wrote:

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 09:25:20PM -0500, Stephen P. King wrote:
From just the abstract alone, I can't see how this differs from the
Solomonff universal prior?

Hi Russell,

   OK, is that a good thing? It seems to me that it is. Are you
saying that the content of the paper is trivial?

No - because the paper seems to be saying a whole bunch of other
things, which may or may not be interesting. I have downloaded a copy
to peruse later when I have time.

My comment was more in response to yours - if the measure you get is
Solomonoff's, then it is not going to shed light on the measure issue
of the UD. (Except, perhaps, to get Bruno to take Solomonoff's measure
more seriously...).

I take it very seriously, and I think it can play a role in explaining the thermodynamical feature of physics, and thus energy, and now (here) even pressure. But this is still "physics" in disguise. To get both quanta and qualia, unless I am dead wrong, we have to keep the redundancy of the computation. But algorithmic information unfortunately does eliminate that redundancy (by information compression, Chaitin's Omega is shallow, Posts number is deep, in Bennett sense), and so is of no use in the "direct" (self-referential) derivation of physics: meaning that its use must be justified too from the "material hypostases". Baez paper seems quite interesting though. But the methodology use a form of Occam which makes it still a form of treachery, to derive physics from comp, and this can eventually result in putting consciousness still under the rug, despite the partial use of comp.

Best,