On 25 Jan 2013, at 13:07, Telmo Menezes wrote:

It's a fascinating idea.
Groups selection seems to be a controversial issue with biologists, but it makes sense to me that evolution could work at the colony level, the same way it does for social insects. Even more easily, because bacteria reproduce asexually.

Well, many bacteria reproduces sexually, and I am not sure why group selection would be favored by non sexual reproduction. May be you can explain. Also, *we* are bacteria colony, or bacteria/amoeba colony, so it seems to me that evolution can work at many levels simultaneously. Even if we give a key role to the gene units, evolution has favored group of genes, and group of group of genes, etc.

Bruno