On 1/27/2013 3:09 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

On 25 Jan 2013, at 05:43, Craig Weinberg wrote:

On Thursday, January 24, 2013 10:20:25 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

    On 1/24/2013 6:28 PM, Craig Weinberg wrote:

    On Thursday, January 24, 2013 9:05:31 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:

        On 1/24/2013 5:14 PM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:
        > On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 4:55 AM, meekerdb<meek...@verizon.net>  wrote:
        >
        >> It's probably a lot simpler than that.  In the U.S. if you're an
atheist it
        >> may be hard to find a sympathetic ear.  Depending a lot on where you
live,
        >> you may be isolated and reviled.
        > Is that really true? I was in the US recently for the first time,
        > Scottsdale Arizona and NYC, and other than Christmas decorations I
        > can't recall seeing much evidence of religion at all. This is perhaps
        > a superficial impression but I was a bit surprised nevertheless.

        Scottsdale is pretty cosmopolitan - it's where airline pilots go to
retire.
         NYC of course
        is as secular, diverse, and worldly as any place in the world.  Try
visiting
        small towns
        in Kentucky, South Carolina, Mississippi, Oklahoma,...  It's not called
"the
        bible belt"
        for nothing.

    It would be more tedious than genuinely threatening to be an atheist adult
in
    redneck America - unless you insist upon being as vocal as the Fundies. Yes,
    there's a lot of churches, and people will ask you what church you go to,
but they
    will also ask you what sports team you support and think you are just as
    threatening if you are unaffiliated that way.

    I'd didn't say they'd be threatening.  But if you were an atheist looking
for a
    friendly ear the only ones you'd find would probably want to convert you.

I don't know that not being able to talk to others about your (non) religious beliefs would be cause for suicide though. Especially now that there's the internet... I can't remember the last time I had a conversation with someone about religion IRL. If it was that important to find a friendly ear in multiple neighbors and co-workers specifically to listen to you talk about being an atheist, then that makes me think about questioning the claim that atheism isn't like a religion.

Atheism (at least the non agnostic strong form of it) is a (pseudo) religion. The atheists believe religiously in a primary material reality (the creation), and define God like the Christians (to not believe in it). So they are ally with (strong) Christians to prevent the coming back of seriousness, inquiries and deductive reasoning in the theological field. Seen from the Plato/Aristotle difference perspective, (strong) atheism is a slight variant of Christianism, and that is even more palatable when you are aware of the atheist sects (which are often secret and non transparent, practice communion, give a name to a God, etc. and are largely ignored by the media).

OK, I'm ready for an expose' What are these secret atheist sects that practice communion, etc.

I was just imagining some poor teenage non-believer in Kentucky who couldn't get a date because nobody would let their daughter go out with an atheist from the pit of hell. I didn't consider that he might commit suicide because he couldn't find any atheists to have communion with.