On Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:37:58 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 9, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Roger Clough <rcl...@verizon.net<javascript:>
> > wrote:
>
> > I sense God's presence.
>>

> That's nice, but how do you know (and more important how do we know) if
> you are sensing a omnipotent being who created the universe or if you are
> sensing a bad potato that you ate yesterday?
>
> I've never had a mystical experience, but if I did I'd have the courtesy
> to keep my mouth shut about it if the evidence for its validity was
> available only to myself.

Maybe that's why you've never had a mystical experience.

> Even if I had discovered a new fact about the nature of reality there
> would be no way to communicate the truth about it to others. And even if
> you are certain about it you can't be certain that you should be certain
> about it, because you can be 100% sure about something and still be dead
> wrong, in fact it's very common, just look at Muslim suicide bombers.

The longer we live, the more we will see that what we thought was right,
wasn't the whole story, and that many of the things that we thought were
most wrong is not completely false. There has never been a time in history
when this was not true and I don't expect that there ever will be.

Craig