The other thing is, there may well be other fora and lists to discuss posts
someone wishes to define as "metadiscussion" but that does not mean that there
exists the same quality of thinkers on those other lists and fora as there do
on this particular one with whom you might have insightful exchanges, as we do
here. So often, topics like religion, politics, education, belief, gun control
etc. are the province of the merely opinionated and never get a chance to be
skilfully considered from a range of viewpoints by those with a bit of training
in the business of real thinking as opposed to the fluff and phlem of
opinionising. There are many things to talk about. Do we have to invent a
special chat room for every bloody thing? It seems to me an overtly tight-arsed
academic viewpoint to restrict people's self-expression in this way. As for Wei
Dai's description of the aims of his list: when was the last time Wei Dai
opened his mouth on his own list?

One must realise that the natural behaviour of the system we call "mind" is
that it will instantly link-up any input it is presented with, with some other
already-established pattern of recognition already IN the mind. This is another
way of saying "you cannot know from which direction new knowledge will arise."
A good thinker will take a diversionary post and see it as "a random word" in a
discussion and will take value from that provocation. An off-topic post is
indeed a provocation. There is a great need for this, lest those who
continually voice a confidence in their thinking fail to see the other
perspectives. In a meeting of Exxon-Mobil top execs in the early 80s Edward de
Bono was invited to listen in to some of their deliberations and was asked to
teach them one creative thinking technique that would result in "leverage". He
listened as requested and reports that at a certain point in the meeting, a
deadlock was reached concerning the yield from a certain type of vertical
drilling. The room went silent and everyone looked at de Bono who simply said
"earthworm". This raised a few eyebrows and a few chuckles were heard, but the
result of the meeting was that a new way of drilling horizontally (akin to
"tracking") was invented  after people allowed "earthworm" to penetrate their
minds and allowed it to mate up with other things.