Hi Bruno,

The definitons of simulation and emulation I can find both use the word 
"imitation".
Can you explain what you mean as being the difference between the two ?

Simulation - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster 
...www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/simulation
a : the imitative representation of the functioning of one system or process by 
means of the functioning of another <a computer simulation of an industrial 
process> ...

Definition of EMULATION
1
obsolete : ambitious or envious rivalry 
2
: ambition or endeavor to equal or excel others (as in achievement) 
3
a : imitation 
b : the use of or technique of using an emulator 
— em·u·la·tive adjective 
— em·u·la·tive·ly adverb 


----- Receiving the following content ----- 
From: Telmo Menezes 
Receiver: everything-list 
Time: 2013-02-04, 17:07:32
Subject: Re: context, comp, and multiverses







On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:05 PM, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:



On Monday, February 4, 2013 9:59:09 AM UTC-5, telmo_menezes wrote:





On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 2:31 PM, Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com> wrote:



On Sunday, February 3, 2013 12:11:17 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:


On 01 Feb 2013, at 16:42, Roger Clough wrote:


Hi Bruno Marchal 
?
I would think that each universe provides its own distinctive
context to any?alculation, including comp. 


Comp is the assumption that we are Turing emulable.
That notion is made very solid by Church's thesis.



I don't think that we can assume that a Turing emulation of us is actually 
"us". To the contrary, a Turing emulation of geometry is not geometry. A Turing 
emulation of water can be the same as a Turing emulation of water in another 
Turing emulated virtual world, but no emulated drop of Turing water can ever be 
a genuine drop of water within the world that we actually live in. It doesn't 
matter that 17 is still prime when you are dying of dehydration.


Hi Craig,


Still trying to understand your theory better. What's your position on the 
following statements:


- The human brain can be Turing emulated.

I see emulation is a figure of speech rather than a physical reality. Can fire 
be Turing emulated? Maybe, but you can only use it to emulate the cooking of 
emulated food. I can make a single emulation of fire which will work for any 
number of virtual worlds, but none of them can actualize fire on the level of 
the machine itself.



Aren't you confusing emulation with simulation? If we emulate a brain in a 
computer, we can connect its input and outputs to sensors and actuators in the 
real world.
?

So can publicly detectable brain activity be Turing emulated? Sure, but it is a 
sculpture.



I see what you mean, but more on that later.
?




- There is some (possibly mysterious) link between the physical human brain and 
consciousness.



The human brain is the public facing spatial presentation of human quality 
awareness. It's not a link between them because they are actually the same 
thing, only expressed publicly rather than privately.



Ok. I'm ok with that. I would still call it a link, but no nitpicking is 
necessary.
?

It's a bit confusing since private awareness is longitudinal through all time 
whereas public structures are orthogonal - latitudinal across all space but 
constrained to as single instant of time.

See if my post from last night makes it clearer: 
http://multisenserealism.com/2013/02/04/chalmeroff-scale-revisited/


Interesting post.


You say:?
"In other words, an experience is ineffable when the subject derives meaning 
from generated information which supervenes on an extensive personal history."
?
So my question is, why can't the generated information supervene on an 
emulation of my brain?




Craig

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.

To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-li...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everyth...@googlegroups.com.

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
?
?



-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
?
?



-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.
 
 

____________________________________________________________________
DreamMail - The first mail software supporting source tracking  
www.dreammail.org

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Everything List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to everything-list+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to everything-list@googlegroups.com.
Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/everything-list?hl=en.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to