2013/2/5 Roger Clough <rclo...@verizon.net>

>  Hi Alberto G. Corona
>
> Your concept is incomplete, because geometry is what Plato called forms,
> which he gave the Greek name of ideas.  So you have a thought without a
> thinker.

Yes, the greeks did not conceive an empty space without forms. For them it
was the forms what created the space. They did no studied space geometry
but the geometry of the forms. They did not conceived the infinite space.
They don´t liked the concept, According with Spengler, this concept came
from the nordic mithology and solidified in the Gothic architecture.

The greek concept is more primitive and therefore, is much more intuitive
and natural, because it descries space by  what it is for: to perceive
things and appreciate distances, proportions and shapes.

> *From:* Alberto G. Corona <agocor...@gmail.com>
> *Receiver:* everything-list <everything-list@googlegroups.com>
> *Time:* 2013-02-04, 15:09:16
> *Subject:* Re: Comp: Geometry Is A Zombie
>
>   I think that geometry is a form of accelerated calculation and
> presentation of distances and angles by/in the mind, of the external
> mathematical reality.�
>
> Within this mental geometrical representation, 爓e locate the rest of the
> elements of the mathematical reality that are relevant for survival, they
> are, the qualia. And this is what whe perceive as "reality", that apears to
> be "out there".
>
> I mean 3D geometry. any other geometry either is mentaly transated to 3D
> by projections or else, must be calculated non intuitively (non
> accelerated) 燽y means of algebraic formulas.
>
> However, I imagine that an advanced robot with fast spatial processing
> (based of algebraic formulas) would pass the turing test when asked about
> geometrical figures in space. It can even answer: "geometry is intuitive
> form me. My father-engineer gave me a good floating point coprocessor and
> good spatial algorithms.
>
> but there is a self reference when we try to imagine how the brain or a
> computer process geometry, and we imagine them embedded in the space and
> time that they create, which is not a correct intuition. we must imagine it
> in no time and no space. IMHO.
>

> 2013/2/4 Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com>
>

>> On Monday, February 4, 2013 12:01:38 PM UTC-5, Bruno Marchal wrote:
>>>

>>>  On 01 Feb 2013, at 22:09, Craig Weinberg wrote:
>>>
>>> I have mentioned this before, but it keeps haunting me.
>>>
>>> If geometry did not exist.
>>>
>>> Could you invent it with mathematics alone?
>>>
>>> And if you could do that...
>>>
>>> Why would you?
>>>
>>> For instance: A triangle can be defined mathematically in different
>>> ways, but without the inherently geometric presentations of lines and
>>> angles, it seems that all you could generate is a description of a set of
>>> values which have the same relation as the values which would be present if
>>> a geometric shape were measured or sampled from optical or tactile
>>> detections.
>>>
>>> That is not to say that the list of mathematical definitions which
>>> satisfy triangularity (a^2 + b^2 = c^2 for example), even an exhaustive
>>> list, would suggest anything like the visible presence of a shape. All of
>>> the mathematics can be done completely in the dark, and no realism of
>>> points, plots, displays, manifolds, topologies, etc, ever need to literally
> [...]

Alberto.