On 07 Feb 2013, at 19:43, meekerdb wrote:

On 2/7/2013 8:09 AM, Bruno Marchal wrote:

Beyond our view of matter, I would guess that both of them would agree that matter is a function of quantum functions, which to me is the same thing as an image of the mind made impersonal.

But that is not what people means by quantum, which need to refer to the *assumed* (not derived like in comp) physics.

Comp is derived from an assumption. Physics is derived from observation.

Comp is the assumption.
Physics is partially derived from observation, but makes many assumptions, inclduing comp most of the time, and it becomes pseudo- science when it hides the assumption (like when forgetting to relate the assumption about the existence of a (primary) physical universe.

Then both comp laws and physical laws rely on observation to be refuted.

Dennett made clear that he is physicalist, naturalist, and weak materialist.

I don't know any scientist being idealist, and even in philosophy of mind, most dictionaries describe it as being abandoned.

I agree in the sense that you intend, but I think that functionalism is the same thing as impersonal idealism.

You can't provide new meaning to terms having standard definition.

That's pretty funny from a guy who redefines "God", "theology", and "mechanism". :-)

I use the original and general definition of God by those who created the subject, as I use "theology" in the general sense used by even contemporaries philosophers. And the use of mechanism for digital mechanism is the standard term, for example used by Judson Webb, Dennett & Hofstadter, etc. Then what I derived might astonished those who have prejudices in the field, but we hardly change a definition due to logical consequences of them.

Why does atheists defends so much the over-precision brought by the Romans in the subject can only confirm my (perhaps shocking for some) statement that atheism is but a variant of christianism, except that atheists are far more dogmatic on the definitions.

I recommend you stringly the reading of Brian Hines: "Return to the One: Plotinus' guide to God-realization", which illustrates well the big similarities between Christian metaphysics and the great differences too. It illustrates well the complete similarities on the question and the notions, and the complete difference in the answers.