On 2/9/2013 1:43 AM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

On Sat, Feb 9, 2013 at 12:41 AM, meekerdb <meeke...@verizon.net <mailto:meeke...@verizon.net>> wrote:

    On 2/8/2013 2:14 PM, Telmo Menezes wrote:

    My point is that the only possible write algorithm that doesn't read
    that is already stored is one that starts writing at random in any
position. You
    could erase or corrupt previous information and you have no index.

    I don't see why that should be the case.  The write can be to an allocated
    area that maintains a pointer.

And then you have to read the pointer before writing. It could be in the disk, or in memory, or in the cache, or in a processor register. Doesn't matter, there's a piece of information you have to access.

But it's not accessing your past human memories, and it's questionable whether it's "you" who must access this pointer; certainly not the conscious "you".

One read operation buys you sequential writing. The more complex the data structure, the more reads you will find. I believe the brain contains a very complex data structure.

No doubt. But as I pointed out there are actual instances of multiple personality disorder in which one "you" can access the memories of the other "you" but not vice versa.