But then doesn't that leave subjectivity fundamentally mysterious?

If form/geometry is first and math second (which fits my own
understanding at this time) the what is it that is apprehending math?
And does it have form?

~Simon

On 2/9/13, Craig Weinberg <whatsons...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday, February 9, 2013 1:31:55 PM UTC-5, John Clark wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 4, 2013  Craig Weinberg <whats...@gmail.com
>> <javascript:>>wrote:
>>
>>  > If geometry did not exist. Could you invent it with mathematics alone?
>>>

>> Mathematicians have invented geometries of 5, 6, 7, or even a infinite
>> number of dimensions as in Hilbert space even though they have no tactile
>>
>> experience of such things.
>>

> I missed it at first, but actually your example makes my point exactly. If
> the universe were primitively arithmetic, it also would not require any
> tactile experience to support its computations in 1, 2, 3, or four
> dimensions.
>
> This is a great topic for me because even people with very Western
> orientations should be able to see that sensory distinctions are more
> primitive than mathematical universalities this way, without getting into
> any deep philosophical discussions about subjectivity. The simple and
> unavoidable truth is: Geometry is mathematically impossible. Mathematics
> has no power to generate points in space, or lines, shapes, volumes, etc.
>
> These forms are not mathematical, they are sensory experiences, and
> experiences of the visual-tangible channels of public awareness at that.
> You can't get a body out of math, unless you are already expecting a body
> to be possible, and you have real bodies to use to project simulated bodies
>
> onto.
>
> Craig

My blog: http://firequery.blogspot.com/
http://twitter.com/SimonForman
http://www.dendritenetwork.com/

"The history of mankind for the last four centuries is rather like that of
an imprisoned sleeper, stirring clumsily and uneasily while the prison that
restrains and shelters him catches fire, not waking but incorporating the
crackling and warmth of the fire with ancient and incongruous dreams, than
like that of a man consciously awake to danger and opportunity."  --H. P.
Wells, "A Short History of the World"