On 10 Feb 2013, at 19:38, John Clark wrote:

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 8:30 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote:

> Consciousness might be the unconscious

Okey dokey, and if you allow that X is not X you can prove or disprove anything you like.

Please, quote the entire sentence. It was:

<<Consciousness might be the unconscious, i.e. instinctive and automated, belief or bet in a reality, or self-consistency (for machine expressing their beliefs in first order languages)>>

And OK, I should have said "might be the result of the unconscious instinctive bet in a reality".

> Consciousness accelerates the growing of intelligence

Then it would be easier to make a intelligent conscious computer than a intelligent unconscious computer,

so if you see a smart computer it's safest to assume it's conscious, just like with people.

"smart" is ambiguous. Competence can be imitated. You don't need much intelligence for behaving like if you did, like you can copy an atomic bomb, without understanding how that can be discovered. So competent behavior is not necessarily a symptom of intelligence, nor of consciousness. But intelligence allows the grow of competence, and the variation of the domain competence. The Watson program is competent, but I doubt it makes sense to say it is intelligent. He lacks the self- reference needed to make sense of intelligence, imo.

> But consciousness and emotion can make competence having negative feedback on intelligence.

So consciousness accelerates and decelerates intelligence. Huh?

Human histories might illustrate this, and that might be part of why great civilization can come to an end.

It is also coherent with my older theory of human intelligence: it is the natural state of the humans before getting adult.