On 10 Feb 2013, at 23:16, Craig Weinberg wrote:

What makes computers useful is that they have no capacity to object to drudgery. That is the capacity which is inseparable from unconsciousness.

That is what slaves are useful at. And that does not make slaves unconscious. It makes them only oppressed.

And humans have to do an hard work to maintain them in that "mood". It is called programming. With AI, we let much more the machine explore possibilities, and look inward.

When we talk about computer, it is better to look at the basic (mathematical) notion, than to their current and contingent incarnations.

If a robotic silicon Craig-like machine could look at the early bacteria on this planet, he would say, "---those organic creatures are quite dumb and unconsconscious---I feel it".