On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:16 AM, Bruno Marchal <marc...@ulb.ac.be> wrote

> The Watson program is competent, but I doubt it makes sense to say it is
> intelligent.

Just like with "God" and "atheist" it looks like we're back at the tired
old game of redefining words. Using the normal meaning of "intelligent" if
somebody can beat you at checkers and chess and equation solving and
Jeopardy then they are more intelligent than you at those activities. So if
Watson isn't intelligent he's something better than intelligent.

And just today news was released that Watson is well on its way at becoming
better than human doctors at diagnosing disease.

http://www.informationweek.com/healthcare/clinical-systems/ibm-watson-helps-doctors-fight-cancer/240148236

> > He lacks the self-reference needed to make sense of intelligence,

Watson can do even better than make sense out of intelligence, Watson can
make concrete actions out of intelligence, among many other things Watson
can move chess pieces around in such a way as to beat you or any other
human in a game.

  John K Clark